Wolverhampton City Council
22nd Aug 23
Wolverhampton City Council hosts the Urban Traffic Control Centre (UTC) for the Black Country, with digital technology monitoring the network and maximising the efficiency of traffic movements, integrating signal timings and helping with the response to incidents.
The UTC has been fitted with the latest in video wall display and controller technology thanks to a collaboration involving SWARCO, Intech Solutions and Ultimate Visual Solutions (UVS).
Intech Solutions, who had an existing relationship with the city council, were asked to provide a new video wall solution for the UTC. It was required to incorporate the latest technology and provide new functionality to allow multiple data sources, in addition to CCTV images, to be displayed simultaneously.
Intech Solutions discussed the detailed requirements with UVS due to their extensive working relationship, and a detailed evaluation of the proposed technology was carried out by Wolverhampton UTC, its traffic systems integrator SWARCO and Intech Solutions.
The requirements included:
- Fast and simple control of the video wall by multiple operators, with a centralised touch panel control
- The ability to view up to 140 simultaneous IP CCTV streams from the install NOW Wireless CCTV system
- The ability to control web applications on the video wall
- A collaboration facility which allows visitors to securely share content on the video wall
- Inputs from local workstations
- Future proofing to allow for additional inputs at a later date
- The ability to view content of the video wall remotely
UVS installed a video wall comprising 15 (5×3) 55-inch Barco Unisee bezel-less displays, using a UVS Lucidity WBC90 video wall controller with a wide range of source inputs including workstation HDMI, collaboration device, 140x IP video stream decoding and display, web page data and dynamic message box information.
Many data sources are integrated to increase the intelligence and behaviour of the UTC network.
- Gating techniques to encourage road users to use alternative routes
- The ability to react to specific events such as football match crowds and congestion
- Prioritising travel corridors based on air quality to comply with national/ legislative requirements
- Providing journey time, traffic flow and travel data for public
Intech Solutions specialises in technical furniture and control room fitouts in the UK and across the world. SWARCO traffic technology group is headquartered in Wattens near Innsbruck, Austria.